Chase Goodbread of NFL.com's College 24/7 staff has assembled a list of college football's sixteen fastest players, and the Longhorns' own sophomore speedster John Burt clocked in at #12. The criteria seem a tad bit nebulous (some combo of school-recorded 40 times, NCAA T&F marks and maybe a nod to game speed thrown in here and there) but Burt's referenced mark of 13.91 in the 110m hurdles helped him land a spot on the list.
Burt has had little trouble translating track times to the gridiorn thusfar, and his down-the-sideline matchups with Sheroid Evans in the Spring Game were an entertaining speed-on-speed matchup. Evans would probably be on this list if anyone outside of Austin knew who he was, and the 2017 edition is all but certain to feature Devin Duvernay.
Here's how the list broke down:
16. Jabrill Peppers, DB (Michigan): 10.52 100m dash in high school
15. John Ross III, WR (Washington): 4.25 40 at the Husky Combine
14. Brandon Bryant, DB (Mississippi State): 4.24 40 recorded by the team
13. Jalen Myrick, CB (Minnesota): 10.1 100m dash in high school
12. John Burt, WR (Texas): 13.91 110m hurdle time
11. Isaiah Brandt-Sims, WR (Stanford): 10.73 100m time for Stanford T&F
10. Cameron Echols-Luper, WR (Arkansas State): 20.39 in the 200m
9. Nyheim Hines, RB (NC State): 6.74 60m dash time
8. Kermit Whitfield, WR (Florida State): 4.37 40 time in high school
7. Donte Jackson, CB (LSU): 10.42 100m time in high school state track meet
6. Tony Brown, DB (Alabama): 13.81 110m hurdle time at NCAA T&F Championships
5. KD Cannon, WR (Baylor): 10.58 100m time at Big XII Track Championships
4. Tyrell Johnson, WR (Arizona): 10.41 100m time at Pac 12 Track Championships
3. Khalfani Muhammad, RB (California): 10.44 100m time as a sophomore in 2015
2. Adoree' Jackson, CB (USC): 21.08 200m time
1. Devon Allen, WR (Oregon): 13.16 110m hurdle time in 2014...Jesus.
Any notable college burners who you think should have made the cut?