Notes after the Horns’ first scrimmage:
- Jason Hall sustained a head/neck injury after delivering a big hit. He walked off the field and it’s being described as “minor.” The coaches love the physicality that Hall brings and the senior remade his lower body (who didn’t?) in the offseason. Next to WR, safety is the deepest position on the team
- From IT beat writer Joe Cook’s twitter:
Herman on Ta'Quon Graham: "God's blessed him with some really advanced physical tools for a guy his age."— Joe Cook (@josephcook89) August 5, 2017
I loved Graham’s recruiting film and he’s a perfect 4i candidate - dense but long, quick enough to terrorize OL inside, but strong enough to hold up against a double team. Expect the Temple product to make a push for rotational playing time in 2017
- The base install for offense and defense are on track according to Herman
- Reggie Hemphill-Mapps practiced today. Previously held out with migraines
- Speaking of WR, the hardest choice that Drew Mehringer will face will be designating WR snaps to accommodate six primary candidates - far too many guys are flashing right now. We should see some separation this month and in the early season, but his task won’t be easy
- According to two former players I trust, Shane Buechele is noticeably improved. His lower body is much stronger and that’s adding stability in the pocket and velocity on his throws. It’s a QB competition in name only. But you already knew that, right TTF readers?
- Sunday off. And the Texas coaches take that enforcement seriously. The players can avail themselves of cryo, cold tubs, massage and whatever else they need
- And the best quote of the week is this one:
Herman: "It's transitioning from a coach-fed program to a player-led program." #HookEm— Joe Cook (@josephcook89) August 5, 2017
Amen and Hook ‘em.