- I can't rank Penn State because I've watched them play and they're pretty miserable, no matter what their W-L records says. Barely scraping out a win over a horrible Purdue doesn't really do it for me.
- A&M is the greatest source of ranking variability amongst bloggers - how do you assess a team with nearly dominant offense, bad defense, and a strange capacity for self-destruction while losing two games by the narrowest of margins?
- How do we handle an undefeated Boise St vis a vis one loss teams that result from LSU-Alabama type clashes? This is the folly of the BCS. The assignment of value with only moderate evidence.
- Washington is my new entrant into the Top 25, largely on promise and a lack of ideas. QB Keith Price
Gilbert has now strung together more quality games in six starts than the entirety of Jake Locker's career which suggests that Sarkisian has the entire UW program on the upswing or Mr Locker may not have been quite as crippled by his surrounding talent as his supporters suggested. Interesting factoid of the dagger-in-kidney variety: freshman jumbo-TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins avoided his seemingly inevitable trajectory to OT by losing 25 pounds and is playing TE capably for the Huskies as a blocker and receiving threat. 15 catches, 244 yards, 4 TDs. In a 6 foot 7, 255 pound package. Think we might we might be able to use him?
- Last week, I got out ahead of un-ranking Texas (never have I so openly predicted a sure Texas loss without real reader blowback - it looks like our expectations are fully re-calibrated), ranking Georgia (remains to be seen, 5-0 after 0-2 start), and ranking Notre Dame (4-0, after 0-2 start; I'm obviously predicting ND over USC). Georgia and Notre Dame are shaky vessels for confidence, but I'm still convinced that Kelly can coach and though Richt can't, the SEC East is secretly feeble.
- Kansas State is a marvel. Props to Longhorn Scott who told me before the season that KSU would be the surprise team of the Big 12 and that their tricky run game would be a headache for any and all comers. I'm dreading/looking forward to playing them in equal measure.