Here's the collective BlogWisdom, as explained by Gator Muschampion Andy Hutchins.
I'll discuss some of the disparities between my poll and the collective after my rankings. Here's the best and most accurate poll ever formulated by man or Huckleberry. Are you not in awe of its nuance and sophistication?
- I refuse to rank Cincinnati, even if Venus Flytrap was the head coach.
- I have a substantially lower opinion of Houston, Virginia Tech, Penn State than the collective. They have Houston ranked #13. I have them 9 spots lower. I'm right. I have no idea what to do with Penn State as they're playing a brand of football from 1977 and they're doing it against what appears to be a weakling Big 10. No team's season resolution will depend more on their bowl placement than the Nittany Lions. If they're placed somewhere humid where fast people live (Jakarta! Belize! Florida!), it will not go well for them. I can only assume other bloggers think highly of Virginia Tech because of their record against a feeble schedule and that they haven't watched them play a down of their particularly shitty brand of college football. Their latest conquest was a 14-10 win over Duke. Add that to the brag wall along with a 17-10 win over East Carolina.
- If you have any idea how to rank teams 6 through 12 - I'm all ears. Oregon, Nebraska, Arkansas, OU, Michigan, South Carolina, Clemson are all as deeply flawed as they are talented and the wrong matchup against a Top 35 team can mean a loss on any given Saturday.
- I think more highly of Arizona State and USC than the collective, not because I'm under any illusion that the Pac 12 is worth a damn (their bottom 6-8 teams are as miserable as the Big 10's offerings) but because when I watch them there are some pretty talented players running around out there. They don't always offer consistent energy and effort, but when they're on, they're both pretty dangerous.
- I treat the Kansas game as a bye week for Texas. So if I didn't have us ranked after OSU, I'm not going to have us ranked now just because 5-2 looks prettier and more aesthetically pleasing. Take care of Texas Tech and Texas deserves a ranking. Am I harsher on Texas than other schools because of familiarity? Yes and no. Our resume without any other context may actually merit ranking (two losses to Top 7 teams, one competitive, one a complete destruction) when you look at the slimness of pickings at the bottom of the Top 25, but until Texas can prove an ability to score enough points on offense, we'll always hit a wall of performance against defenses in the top half of the FBS - much less the Top 25.